The Jade Regent
The city of Kalsgard sits on the southern bank of the Rimeflow River in the more northern reaches of the Lands of the Linnorm Kings known as the Thanelands. It is the biggest city in the Lands of the Linnorm Kings and as such is the most cosmopolitan city for several hundred miles, housing communities of dwarves, gnomes, Varisians and people from even further afield. Kalsgard is also home of the oldest and most powerful of the Linnorm Kings, Sveinn Blood-Eagle, though it is suspected that he will soon be making his final journey across the seas to Valenhall in distant Arcadia, as is the tradition amongst the Linnorm Kings.
- Corruption +6
- A settlement’s corruption modifies all Bluff checks made against city officials or guards and all Stealth checks made outside (but not inside buildings or underground).
- Crime –1;
- The atmosphere generated by a settlement’s crime level applies as a modifier on Sense Motive checks to avoid being bluffed and to Sleight of Hand checks made to pick pockets.
- Economy +7
- A settlement’s economy helps its citizens make money, and thus it applies as a modifier on all Craft, Perform, and Profession checks made to generate income.
- Law +8
- A settlement’s law modifier applies on Intimidate checks made to force an opponent to act friendly, Diplomacy checks against government officials, or Diplomacy checks made to call on the city guard (see sidebar).
- Lore +5
- A settlement’s lore modifier applies on Diplomacy checks made to gather information and Knowledge checks made using the city’s resources to do research when using a library.
- Society +4
- A settlement’s society modifier applies on all Disguise checks, as well as on Diplomacy checks made to alter the attitude of any non-government official.
- Danger +20
Qualities: Insular, Notorious, Prosperous, Strategic Location,
Superstitious, Tourist Attraction
Population 72,080 (62,383 humans, 7,212 dwarves, 973 gnomes, 724 halflings, 493 elves, 83 half-elves, 212 other)
Base Value 30,400 gp;
Purchase Limit 200,000 gp;