The Jade Regent
I’ve been mulling it over – I’ve talked to a few of you about this already – an I think I’m going to give it a shot. I’m going to get rid of XP as a reward.
- XP is hard to manage – for both you and I
- I can tell a better story and pace the adventure if I know exactly when you guys are going to level up
- It’s more interesting to you if you level up at important plot moments rather than arbitrarily when a certain number hits a certain point
- This is a very story oriented campaign – while you’re not completely on rails and you can make decisions that vastly change this story, it seems more ideal to have your characters progression tied to story, rather than mechanics.
Do you still get rewarded for playing and being awesome, then? YES! Of course.
I’m going to switch over to a Hero Points reward system. But what does that mean?
- You will get 1 hero point for showing up and playing at the end of each session
- This means that you don’t need to ‘horde’ your hero points for very special moments
- This means that you can feel free to be more awesome and heroic and unafraid to try awesome and fantastical stuff (this is what D&D is about, imo)
- You will get an additional hero point as a reward for: Writing up an awesome session, roleplaying well, helping me get through the rules quickly, or any other thing that one might normally do to earn ‘bonus XP’
Well, to get a better idea of what Hero Points do, check out this page. Please become familiar with these rules as they will be your new bread and butter for doing awesome stuff in the game.
Do you have any questions, comments, concerns? Let me know! Ultimately, if we decide this doesn’t work and we need to go back on the XP track, I have a way of getting us there, so don’t sweat it too much!
Anyways, right now 3 is the maximum amount of Hero Points you can have. We can adjust this potentially in the future, but I think this is fine for now. That means that you should be using at least 1 hero point a session to try something awesome.
I’m going to be starting you all out at the max 3 hero points for next session. Cheers!